Friday, May 11, 2007

So after my last class from 11-1:30, I went and had lunch with my half Iranian, 1/4 Brazilian, 1/8 Swiss, and 1/8 German friend. heh. We like to laugh at each other because we both have no life other than engineering. I tease him all the time because we spend so much time in either to library or the engineering computer lab studying. We don't take the same classes because he is a semester ahead, but we both were plagued with slackers in our groups this semester and so we would rant and vent to each other. He is 6'4'' and doesn't open doors normally; he kicks them open. It amuses me. He makes me laugh. He has the sort of personality that either you love him or you hate him. Most people think he is really annoying because he is so smart and is always studying and working hard, but I appreciate that. I wish I were as smart as Cyrus.

We went to a little Vietnamese restaurant for pho. Two of his friends, who are TAs in one of my classes, are Vietnamese and they go there a lot. I linked an article about what pho is for you all to read it you want. Basically it is a soup with beef, onions, rice noodles, bean spouts, fat, and the inside of cow's stomachs. Yes, I ate the insides of cow's stomachs today. It was flavorless. heh. If you look in the picture of the soup that I posted, the things that look like onions, those are actually pieces of the inside of the cow's stomach. Weird.

And here is a picture that I stole off facebook so that you all could picture what Cyrus looks like. He only had two photos and you couldn't see the other one it was blurry.

3 comments:

  1. when peter libby and i were in vietnam gathering christopher and grace, we had all kinds of interesting food. but my personal favorite in saigon was pho. we were with some other americans who were there for the same reason (adoption) and the whole group really liked this soup. it was very flavorful, exotic, and filled with fresh herbs. and it was served with delicious soft bread sticks.
    i don't think it contained the cow's stomach (although it was a beef-based broth). if it did we were blissfully ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you sure those were actually the peices of stomach? That DOES sound weird. In Ukraine it's quite common to eat dishes with inside parts (like heart, kidney, liver), whether it's pork, beef or chicken. It's really good actually. But never heard of stomach cooked like that. Hope you enjoyed it. I'd like to try it one day. You are one of the few foreigners I know who doesn't say 'YUK!!!' to these kinds of stuff :) If you come to Ukraine I'll treat you with some our OUR specialties, like black pudding for example (a sausage made of pork blood and black porridge). Sure you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am planning on coming some day. I am hoping that I can make it next summer. Woohoo for new foods. Don't tell me what they are before you feed them to me. Otherwise I might gag. It's all in my head. haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?