Sunday, July 16, 2006

Sunday Morning we had breakfast at Ridge Haven at 7:15, packed up, and headed out down 16 miles of winding mountain roads at 8:00. I talked to Mrs. Franklin the whole way down the mountain, riding backwards. Then I slept and read and played games with the people around me. Mr. Sherwell did a devotion and prayed. We watched another few movies and I tried to ignore them as much as possible. We stopped for lunch in Alabama. So far we had been through, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama. Sarah, Luke, Rachel, Bethany, and I went to KFC. On Sunday we all wore our light blue shirts and it wasn't until we got off the bus to walk to lunch when we all started thinking how weird that must look. Most groups that we met on the way down there had gray or white t-shirts (things that blend in). We all wore blue. haha. It was a funny picture. I like the shirts. Then we walked back to the bus and did more of the same boring stuff to pass the time. Linnea read to me for a while. I was totally missing my Steffy by this point. Sunday Evening we finally got to our camp and we had ham and cheese sandwiches for dinner. The Church there is called Lagniappe.
Lagniappe - a small gift given a customer by a merchant at
the time of a purchase, such as a 13th beignet when buying a dozen, or more
broadly something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure; a
bonus. The word is used in Trinidad and Tobago, Louisiana, Mississippi and
south-eastern Texas. It was also once in common usage by antiquarian
booksellers, without regional limitation, and is still used by more
old-fashioned members of that tribe. It is derived from the American Spanish
phrase la ñapa (la, "the"; ñapa a variant of yapa, "something that is added").
The term has been traced back to the Quechua word yapay (which means "to
increase; to add"). In Andean markets it is still customary to ask for a "yapa"
when making a purchase. The seller usually responds by throwing in a little
extra.

I thought that was a pretty neat name for a church. You can visit their blog or website or interns blog at these links.
Lagniappe Church
Lagniappe Church blog
Lagniappe Intern’s blog


We had orientation, watched a movie, I took a shower, had another meeting (this time with the goup), and went to bed. The first night was fun, even though I felt so lost and out of place. Avery and I were on the top of the bunk beds right my the back door and this exit sign lit up the whole room. I started to cover it up, but I was told that it was a against fire code and if there was a fire we would need it. So once the lights go out Avery and I started going on and on about how we felt like we were on a sub. Haha. It was bunches of fun. boop boop boo. DIVE DIVE DIVE!!! Laughing made me a lot happier then if I had sat there and been annoyed all night. It was still hard to fall asleep, but at least we could laugh at the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?