Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Huguenot Cross:
* is formed of a Maltese Cross - four isosceles triangles meeting at the centre. Each triangle has at the periphery, two rounded points in the corners. These points are regarded as signifying the eight Beatitudes of Matthew 5: 3-10.
* Suspended from the lower triangle by a ring is a pendant dove with spreaded wings in downward flight, signifying the Holy Spirit. In times of persecution a pearl, symbolizing a teardrop, replaced the dove.
* The four arms of the Maltese Cross are sometimes regarded as the heraldic form of the four petals of the Lily of France - the Lily is a symbol of purity.
* The arms symbolize the four Gospels.
* The arms are joined together by four Fleur-de-Lis, each with 3 petals; for the totals of twelve petals, signifying the twelve apostles.
* Between each Fleur-de-Lis and the arms of the Maltese Cross, with which it is joined, is an open space in the form of a heart, the symbol of loyalty (suggested by the seal of the French Reformer, John Calvin).

Now how cool is that?!? It is pretty awesome to be a Huguenot descendent. Maybe I will write about my ancestors sometime on here. I most often think of the Irish side of my, since I am the largest part Irish, but my French side is pretty awesome and my last name comes for my German ancestors... so maybe I should think about them too. Haha.
Anyhow, I have always wanted a star necklace... and this sort of looks like a star, but it is way cooler.
Thank you, Jared!!

3 comments:

  1. Is a maltese cross in any way related to a maltese falcon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I thought the same thing when I read that. We think alike too much. It is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great minds...




    dr. blackaard.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?